Tuesday 17 June 2014

Friendship Quilt

Back last year when Fiona asked me if I'd like to take part in making a bloggers' Friendship Quilt I was a bit dubious......not because I didn't think it was a wonderful idea.....not because I've never sewn before.....not because I didn't want to be part of it......but because I have severe issues with precision....I find it impossible to be precise with anything!!!!
I can live with my own imprecision......but expecting someone else to is a whole different thing!!
In the end my desire to join in overcame my fears.....but I needed to hatch a plan where the only precision that mattered was the final size of the square.....so I came up with a sort of crazy,off centre, strip log cabin block.
One person each month receives their squares from everyone......and they have chosen their own colour palette.
[for Alexa]
Then I hit another snag.......my inability to remember to photograph them!!! I always remember to photograph my cards and LOs.......sort of on auto pilot,I s'pose......but most of the squares have been posted off unrecorded,I'm afraid.
 [for Amy]
[for Deb]
Deb wanted spring colours.......and as I had extra fabric I decide to make some little coasters for her as well.....though I didn't get time to bind them.
I also took onboard Fiona's suggestion to make a block for yourself each time you make one for someone else......so I've been making one a month in my chosen colours......which should give me 24 blocks in total when mine all arrive.
This exchange is such a lovely idea....thank you Fiona.

17 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh these are gorgeous. I totally understand your initial worries - I have been really enjoying seeing everyone's squares turn up and part of me is sorry I didn't join in.

Barbara Eads said...

I love your crazy log cabin squares! I hope Fiona does it again and I can join in. I haven't quilted since the 1980's so it would be fun!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I really like your wonky log cabin blocks Jacky. I'm pleased that you've shared the blocks in your own colour scheme today. Very timely, as I was looking through my stash last night to see if I had anything to fit the rust/terracotta brief. It's sometimes tricky to know if I've interpreted the colour scheme in the same way as the recipient! So glad you decided to join in, despite your reservations x

Alison said...

I've loved seeing your squares pop up Jacky ( and obviously the one you sent me!).....wish I'd thought of your idea...the precision is killing me!!
Alison xx

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I LOVE the square(s) you sent to me, Jacky! I have a photo on my phone that I just emailed to you. :o)

I still smile when I think of emailing you to ask what pattern you used for these. I love the tilted log cabin designs on your squares. So clever! xo

debs14 said...

I can confirm they are as lovely in real life as they are in the photos! This has been such a fun project to do, and I'm so pleased I joined in. The wonky pattern you are using is so effective, I love it!

Karen said...

It's such a great project, and I love your squares, especially the last ones---the colors are terrific!

Sian said...

Your blocks are stunning Jacky: a beautiful combination of colours and prints in a fiendishly clever looking pattern. I'm smiling at you saying you have precision issues because I always admire the neatness of your layers on your cards

Jimjams said...

I think that the wonky log cabin pattern (have you trade-marked the name LOL) is brilliant. Love the colours you've chosen too. What a great project.

Stephanie Gau t said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Gau t said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Gau t said...

Sorry Jacky! I made this comment twice and then deleted it altogether!. I said you shuld have brought this to the WI!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love seeing everyone's squares. Yours are great.
Rinda

Sinead said...

I've loved seeing these friendship quilt squares pop up on various blogs over the last few weeks and months - it was such a brilliant idea! I love your squares and can't wait to see what the finished quilt will be like :D x

Anonymous said...

Love the way you have tackled this project and how different they all look.

alexa said...

I loved mine :). I will photograph if and send it to you .... These are all beautiful - fascinating how the different fabrics and colours give a different effect even though the structure is the same ....

Connie Mercer said...

what a gift you have~beautiful work:):) Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!